The Ashtabula County Metroparks system has created its first annual guide to events and activities in the sprawling, diverse network of parks.
The guide is available for online viewing. This option is green and saves park levy funds for property acquisition, improvement and management. Print copies are not available.
The guide lists and describes all of the parks in the system and provides a month-by-month listing and description of events that will be occurring in the parks throughout 2018.
The overarching activity is #MetroParksRocks! a joint effort with the Ashtabula County District Library and Ashtabula Rocks group to get people in the parks, walking the trails and looking for painted rocks. When a rock is located, post a photo to social media and use that post to get an entry form in a contest with great prizes at the end of the season. The contest starts in May 2018.
This event works with Photographers in the Park, a monthly meeting of persons interested in photography who explore and photograph the parks.
Information about that group and #MetroParksRocks! is in the 2018 Metroparks Events Guide.
Among the happenings in 2018 are:
- Guided horseback rides on the Lampson Reservoir trails;
- Kayak instruction and Grand River trips;
- Evening film programs at Harpersfield;
- A 50th anniversary celebration of the Scenic Rivers Act;
- Birding and wildflower walks.The Metroparks 2018 Event Guide was produced by the Lodging Tax Office of the Ashtabula County Board of Commissioners as a way to promote tourism and outdoor recreation in the county’s Metropark system. A volunteer committee is responsible for procuring and presenting events and programs in the park.